Psychology is the study of human behavior and the mind. It attempts to find the reason behind an individual’s behavior and thinking patterns. Guidance and counseling are two essential concepts of psychology, Difference between guidance and counselling which people do not readily distinguish because both try to find the solutions for complications and work for human development. Developing a comprehensive understanding of guidance and counseling might help people in choosing the correct method.
What is Guidance?
- Guidance is a piece of active advice offered to individuals from a superior in the respective field or a professional. It is the procedure of guiding, managing or leading a person for a particular course of action.
- The process aims at making individuals aware of the suitability or unfairness of their choices and the significance of their decision, on which their future depends. It assists students in picking the most suitable course for them to determine and develop their psychological and educational abilities and ambitions.
- The outcome of Guidance is usually self-development and helps a person to plan his present and future intelligently.
What is Counseling? Difference between guidance and counselling
- Counseling is a talking therapy, in which a person discusses their problems and shares feelings with the counselor, who helps the client deal with the problems. It usually discusses those problems linked to private or socio-psychological issues, producing emotional pain or mental shakiness.
- The counselor or a psychologist attends to the client’s problems with understanding and discusses them in a private environment. It is not a one-day practice, but there are numerous sessions.
- Counseling is to help the client to see the root of problems and recognize the potential solutions to the issues. The counselor attempts to change the clients’ viewpoint and helps them remain positive in the future.
Critical Differences Between Guidance and Counseling
The noteworthy variances between guidance and counseling give in the following points:
- Some senior person’s advice or relevant information to resolve a conflict and overcome the difficulties is papular as guidance. Counseling professional advice given by a psychologist to an individual to help him find the possible solution to personal or psychological problems.
- The nature of Guidance is preventive, but the nature of counseling tends to be healing, therapeutic, or helpful.
- The guidance offers support to the person while choosing the best alternative. But counseling helps them to change their perspective, to get the solution by themselves.
- Guidance is an inclusive process; Difference between guidance and counselling that retains an external approach. In contrast, counseling always focuses on the in-depth and inward analysis of the problematic situation till the client comprehends and overcomes it completely.
- Guidance is usually taken on education and career-related issues. However, counseling took when the problematic situation is linked with personal and socio-psychological issues.
- An expert in a particular field can give guidance. But counseling can only provide by counselors who own a high level of skill and have undergone specialized training.
- Guidance can give to a specific person or group of individuals simultaneously. On the contrary, counseling will always be a one-to-one session.
Consequently, after revising the above-given points, it becomes easy to understand that guidance and counseling are two different terms. Though, both the process attempts to solve the problems with the participation of both client and the expert.
Also read: Difference between file and folder